"This stew brings back childhood memories of Northern California and new buckets brimming with crab and baskets of sourdough bread. Rich, red, and very messy, it is now a New Years tradition at my house. Serve in large bowls with sourdough bread on the side. Never any leftovers!"
(Prep Time: 45 Min - Cook Time: 1 Hr 30 Min - Ready In: 2 Hrs 15 Min)
Original Recipe Yield 8 servings
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed or to taste
- 2 (28 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with juice
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 pound scallops
- 24 littleneck clams
- 1 1/2 pounds crab legs
- 1 pound unpeeled, large fresh shrimp
- Heat olive oil in a very large heavy pot over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic, and cook until soft, stirring frequently. Pour in tomatoes then season with parsley, basil, salt, pepper and the bay leaf. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until liquid is reduced almost completely, about 1 hour.
- Add clams, scallops, clams, crab legs and shrimp to the pot. Cover, and cook over medium heat until clams open. Scoop portions into large bowls to serve.
Amount per Serving: Calories: 309 | Total Fat: 6.1g | Cholesterol: 170mg