"The whole family loves Mom's tender beef and hearty noodles. Simmered in beef broth, the noodles taste wonderfully old-fashioned. Mom has to make a huge batch since even the grandchildren gobble them up.
(Prep Time: 30 Min - Cook Time: 2 Hrs 30 Min - Ready In: 3 Hrs)
Original Recipe Yield 8 servings
- 1 (3 pound) boneless beef chuck roast
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 1/2 cups water, divided
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 (14 ounce) can beef broth
- pepper to taste
- In a Dutch oven, brown roast and onion in oil. Add 1/2 cup of water. Cover and bake at 325 degrees F for 2-1/2 to 3 hours or until the meat is tender.
- Meanwhile, for noodles, combine flour and salt in a bowl; make a well in the center. beat egg and milk; pour into well. Stir to form a stiff dough. Turn onto a well-floured surface; roll into a 15-in. x 12-in. rectangle. cut into 1/8-in. strips. Cover and refrigerate until ready to cook. Remove roast and keep warm; add broth and remaining water to pan. Bring to a boil; add noodles. Cook for 8-10 minute or until tender. Drain; season with pepper. Serve with the roast.
Uncooked noodles may be stored in the refrigerator for 2-3 days or frozen for up to 1 month.